Go . . . Ready to start
We left one week ago and much has happened.
Our trip was long (24 hours) but uneventful--the term I apply to the best trip one can have these days!
We have a very nice flat in an area of \Newcastle called Gosforth. Getting used to organizing homelife in such a new locale has taken more effort than one would think just going from the US to the UK, but we are near the end of the setting up phase. Our flat is very near a metro stop and my office on campus is near where we get off so getting into campus is easy and quick.
The faculty here have been very welcoming. They make us feel important in that they all know who we are and to a person express real interest in what we're doing. David Leat, the director of the Center for Learning and Teaching hosted a welcome potluck for us on Sunday and most of the staff and family attended. It was a great way to get to know folks in an informal atmosphere.
I've had some great conversations about instructional communication issues and look forward to learning much from my colleagues here. They are very smart folks! Daria has been included which is appropriate and exciting for her. She's made contact with local schools and will begin visiting next week it appears. In the mean time, she's had access to terrific resources in the area of elementary math instruction which is her area on interest.
We've gotten our computer accounts straightened out which is why I am now able to update the blog.
So, we're started on our excellent journey.
I look forward to your questions as a guide for future installments!
2 Comments:
Mark:
Can you post some photos for us, too?
Hi Dr Mark! Sandra Wheeler here, unguiltily benefitting from your sabbatical by getting to teach Coms 5 at CSUS this spring...Wish you were here, but not really, cuz then I wouldn't be....hahahah. The photos would be fun, I agree with Mr Fitzgerald! By the way, I am branching out and trudging along with my blog-instructional development and I have 2 now, Arg-YOU-mentation for CSUS and Comm-YOU-nication for my Cosumnes River kids...hings at Sac State seem pretty mellow from my perspective right now, no Chris, no You, no Nick T. -- We all just sit around and weep openly...I want to have my students check out some of the photos when you get them up, so will check in again soon! I will see Jillian at Western next week, we'll blog ya from Palm Springs!
Smiles--Sandra Wheeler
Your Fellow Blogger
Post a Comment
<< Home