Zurich and Lugano
Since the end of March, we have been traveling or trying to get organized in our flat and at Lancaster University--this leg has not been particularly easy. In part, it has been hard due to the fact that our trip around the continent was really exhausting and starting a new "home" on top of that can be trying.
Access to a computer has been spotty throughout. Until recently, we were limited to internet cafes. We got dial-up at our flat in preparation for DSL, but Virgin.net fouled up the order and never sent a modem. On top of that there have been "bank holidays" which are national holidays and government and anything unionized doesn't move on those days--and they take their time getting caught up on the backlogs....
So, I am in the university during a "bank holiday weekend" (at least the uni is open!) using the library computer to catch up!
Le Grand Tour begins
Switzerland
Zurich was the first stop where I did a course for the Didactica Program at the University of Zurich/ETH. The course was a great success (excellent evaluations from the participants which I am quite proud of). I also did a half-day seminar for the Center for Learning and Teaching there on engaging students. In that case, I learned more about the Swiss university system than I taught the staff, I think.
Here are some views of Zurich:


The city is beautiful, but incredibly expensive. As we did some window shopping, we saw, for example, a man's outfit (sport jacket, shirt, pants, shoes)for 2,750 CHF which comes to over $3,000! This was not an uncommon offer--really. Dinners at places comparable to California Pizza Kitchen ran about $75. (We shared alot of meals as you can imagine.)
We traveled on to Lugano, Switzerland where I did presentations at University of Switerland (Italy)[USI] and Franklin College. At USI I participated in a class in argumentation, then made my PowerPoint in a New Key presentation. At Franlin College, I did a talk from Making Sense of Messages, titled Four Kinds of Critical Thinking.
Here are a few different views of Lake Lugano:



This view is from the top of Mt. San Salvadore.
This one gives a little more perspective:

This is a view of the Franklin College campus.


The building at USI where I did my presentation.
That's a start. More to come. (For a different perspective on the trip, visit Daria's blog at http://travelsinenglan.blogspot.com/ She's writing to her third grade class, but I think you'll find it interesting!)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home